Y2K Updates Summary

 

 

National Scene

 

                The Advisory report of Y2K Commission published in the Philippine  Star newspaper dated September 30, 1999 shows that out of the Four Hundred Sixty Four (464) public and private companies that submitted their Year 2000 Disclosure, there are Three Hundred Eighty Eight (388) companies that are Y2K ready.  This shows an 83.62% of the total number and the remaining 16.38% are still on the last stage of preparing their Y2K disclosure. 

 

          The following are the different sectors with their corresponding number of agencies/companies: that are Y2K ready and Not Y2K ready.

 

Sectors

Y2K Ready

Not Y2K Ready

Utilities

24

3

Telecommunications

46

7

Finance

180

12

Manufacturing

67

19

Government Services

24

14

Transportation

28

 

Healthcare

7

7

Others

12

4

TOTAL

388

76

 

         

          The above data were the complete list of figures as of September 15, 1999.  All companies and government agencies were instructed by the Y2K Commission to submit their Year 2000 Readiness Disclosure report until September 30, 1999. 

 

 

Local Scene

 

          The province is now on the stage of monitoring the Y2K readiness and the contingency plans of some agencies and companies.  On the above report of Y2K Commission, it shows that some of these agencies and companies that can affect the province are now Y2K ready.

 

The Implementing Rules and Regulations of R.A. 8747 known as Philippine Year 2000 Disclosure and Readiness Act, defines Y2K Ready as the state inferred to persons or entities whose Y2K compliant systems and products, if interfaced with extraneous systems and products, may not necessarily produce Y2K compliance, but nevertheless have already in place a contingency plan to deal with the effects of the Y2K bug.

 

This definition implies then that any company or agency in the province whose systems and products that are not Y2K Compliant should at least be Y2K ready and that they should have a contingency plan to deal with the effects of the Y2K bug.  

 

The Provincial Y2K Task Force will now closely monitor/coordinate the contingency plans of the following agencies:

 

Y2K Ready

 

Sectors

Agencies/Companies

Utilities

NAPOCOR, Caltex Phils., Petron Corp., and Pilipinas Shell Petroleum Corp.

Telecommunications

PLDT, Smart Communications

Finance

Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas, All Big Banks*, and Social Security System

Government Services

Dept. of Budget and Management

 

 

Not Y2K Ready

 

Sectors

Agencies/Companies

Expected Date of Compliance

Telecommunications

Digital Telecommunications

October 31, 1999

Finance

GSIS

November 30, 1999

Transportation

Philippine Airlines

November 30, 1999

 

 

 

* Rural Banks not included in monitoring